Thursday 12 January 2012

Tangled Writing

Here we are in 2012 with Christmas receding as a memory, only retrieved by baubles discovered shining under the sofa or when a Christmas pud from a hamper gift is served up thinly disguised as a fruity dessert for an ordinary Sunday.  Life begins to pick up its everyday rhythm, with normal tasks to be completed.
       I have a weekly list - to be fair it sometimes stretches into two, or even three weeks.  It becomes a glorious mess of arrows and loopy lines linking the different areas of my life: writing, church, psychology, home.  For example, those thank-you letters which await my attention, are they 'Writing' or 'Home'? And bits and pieces I write for Church - maybe even about counselling others, or a psychological article for a Christian magazine - where do I put those?
       But even within those items which definitely belong in 'Writing', there is a woven, tangled web.  One example: today I was looking up diseases.  It was research for my novel-in-progress, Dancing in the Dark, but the information is helping me to think about other work I am doing - particularly the pending 'Ask Angela' for Caring magazine.
       Then there are the two novels that are dominating my life at the moment.  Losing Face now has a publication date, 25th May (I am shouting this from the rooftops!) so my task is to move into my role as a published novelist including publicising it.  Meanwhile, I am working out the finer details of what happens to the same characters next, as I finish and edit Dancing in the Dark.  The two novels are dangerously merging into one in my mind, as I read backwards and forwards between them, seeking consistency.  But there is a bonus - out of their converging stories, the characters become even more 'real'.  I will just have to be careful to avoid lifting the curtain on Dancing in the Dark, when discussing Losing Face.
       So my prayer is that I will have wisdom day-by-day to become more organised to make good use of my time, yet accept, enjoy and discover the benefits from the chaotic, interesting, wonderful confusions of life.  
      Happy writing,
     Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment